Recent figures from the American Cancer Society revealed that there are approximately 296,000 American women who are diagnosed with breast cancer each year. The good thing is that tons of improvements in its diagnosis and treatment have made it possible for women to be more hopeful and more positive following diagnosis.
Here at our Cleveland breast reconstruction practice, we aim to help these women through breast reconstruction following their decision to have mastectomy. By and large, a mastectomy involves full removal of one or both breasts. Aside from making the decision to have their breasts removed, a woman should make a second decision involving breast reconstruction.
Why Opt For Breast Reconstruction?
Majority of women who choose to have breast reconstruction (can either be immediately following mastectomy or a bit later after mastectomy) opt for the procedure with the following reasons:
- permanently restore balance on their chest when wearing swimsuits and other fitting apparel
- permanently regain breast shape
- saves them the hassle of using foams and other external prosthesis that will fit inside the bra
- significantly improves self-esteem and confidence that may be reduced following removal of one or both breasts
Dr. Totonchi offers these breast reconstruction options for women after mastectomy:
- use of breast implants, either saline or silicone
- use of flaps through harvesting tissue from the patient’s back or abdomen to be transplanted/transferred to the chest area
To learn more about breast reconstruction following mastectomy, get in touch with us today by calling 216–778–2262 for a personal consultation with Dr. Totonchi. You can also choose to fill out this contact form. We look forward to helping you reconstruct not just your breasts but also your life following diagnosis of breast cancer!