What is a Laser Resurfacing Procedure?
Laser resurfacing is a very popular cosmetic treatment among our patients. Laser uses short pulses of light on the skins irregularities, and gently removes layers of the skin. Laser resurfacing can effectively reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Lasers have the ability to remove blemishes, acne scars, and improve skin discoloration. Laser can also be used for superficial vascular lesions and hair removal.
Laser resurfacing treats fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, mouth, and forehead. Laser resurfacing can also be used in combination with a facelift procedure to improve the overall outcome of the facelift procedure by treating any fine lines and wrinkles that the facelift was unable to correct. However, patients with severe cases of acne, or those with very dark skin do not qualify for laser resurfacing. It is also important to note that laser resurfacing will not be able to remove stretch marks. Dr. Ali Totonchi makes it a point to set realistic expectations with his patients in Cleveland, OH to make sure that their treatment goals can be addressed by laser resurfacing.
What are the Types of Laser Resurfacing Treatments Available?
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing (ablative facial rejuvenation) – this technique for laser resurfacing has been widely used. It can be used alone or in combination with a facelift with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty for under eye skin tightening. This is an effective laser resurfacing technique for treating fine and deeper facial wrinkles, acne scars, uneven skin tones, freckles, sun damage, warts, and enlarged pores. CO2 laser resurfacing uses short pulses of light or ultra-pulse that is delivered in a scanning pattern. This ablates or removes a thin layer of skin causing minimal damage to the skin itself but with a recovery time of approximately 2 weeks. The redness may last 4-6 additional weeks. Sun protection post procedure with 30-50 SPF is imperative. For post procedure recovery instructions click here.
- Nd:YAG laser – this laser uses short pulses of light or ultra-pulse to deep and superficial veins, vascular lesions, spider veins, birthmarks and pigmented Minimal to no down time required. Multiple treatments may be needed to get desired results. Sun protection post procedure with 30-50 SPF is imperative. For post procedure recovery instructions click here.
- Hair Reduction laser – BBL and the Duet laser both use pulses of light to destroy hair follicles for unwanted hair growth. No down time required. Multiple treatments required, for maximum hair reduction.
- ProFractional and ReSurfx laser (with or without the addition of a microlaser peel) – a fraction of the skin is directly treated at a deeper level which promotes collagen remodeling, with a superficial abrasion which allows quicker healing of the skin, in a matter of 5-7 days rather than The laser is used to treat fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, sun spots, skin tightening and reduces pore size and improves the appearance of superficial scarring. ProFractional can be used in combination with a micro- laser peel with no added recovery time but more intense results. Sun protection post procedure with.
- NanoLaser Peel – uses light energy instead of chemicals to instantly remove the upper layer of the skin called the stratum corneum. The laser gently exfoliates the skin and improves the skins texture and tone to reveal a healthy glow. NLP can remove up to 10 microns of skin depth. This superficial skin rejuvenation has little down time. Facial redness subsides in 1-3 days with gentle skin peeling noted. Good moisturizing is essential for facial recovery. We suggest frequent moisturizing for 7-10 days post laser treatment. Sunscreen with 30+ SPF containing a physical blocker such as Zinc or Titanium is essential for 1 month post laser treatment. You may apply make-up in 2 days to mask any redness
- Halo laser – Facial maintenance, hybrid fractional laser, which customizes your treatment with deep dermal rejuvenation combined with epidermal renewal. The Halo Glow leaves your skin with a smooth, vibrant appearance. It improves skin discoloration, sun damage, enlarged pores, fine lines and visible signs of aging. No recovery time needed. Sun protection post procedure with 30-50 SPF is imperative. For post procedure recovery instructions click here.
- Scaar FX laser using Active FX and Deep FX – advanced resurfacing capabilities for extensive scarring. Scaar FX laser is able to penetrate deeper into the skin to more effectively treat and improve the color and texture of the scar. Active FX is used for superficial scars to improve color and texture while also treating fine lines, sun spots and uneven skin tones. Deep FX penetrates the skin more deeply to break down scar formation and promote the building of collagen to improve the appearance of deep wrinkles, scars and acne scarring. Dr Totonchi will form a laser treatment plan that best fits your needs.
- IPL laser – treats age spots, sun spots, sun damage, melasma, uneven skin tone and improves the appearance of redness and rosacea. Sun protection post procedure with 30-50 SPF is imperative. For post procedure recovery instructions click here.
Unfortunately, laser resurfacing is not for everyone. Dr. Totonchi will talk with you to determine, during your consultation, if you are an appropriate candidate for laser resurfacing and which type of laser resurfacing is best for you. If you are not a candidate for laser, he will recommend a more suitable treatment option for you to meet your aesthetic needs.
Laser Resurfacing Treatment Details
Laser resurfacing is typically done on an outpatient basis in our certified facilities in Cleveland, Lyndhurst and Westlake, OH. The type of anesthesia used will depend on the size of the treatment area and the intensity of the laser being used. The treatment time will vary depending on surface area being treated, if done on the face as an in office procedure, generally it will last about 45 minutes to an hour.
Procedures done under general anesthesia vary. You will be provided instructions on proper care after the laser resurfacing procedure. You should expect skin dryness and peeling for approximately one to two weeks after the laser resurfacing procedure, and then you will start to appreciate your rejuvenated and younger looking skin.
Call today, (216)778-2262 for more information on lasers, and schedule a consultation with Dr Totonchi.