Also Offering Hair Restoration in Lyndhurst & Westlake
Dr. Ali Totonchi understands that hair loss is difficult for some patients. Hair loss is often uncontrollable and can be caused by a number of reasons including genetics, an underlying disease, poor nutrition, stress, injury, or trauma. It may also be a result of certain drug reactions that cause patients to lose their hair prematurely, resulting in bald spots.
What is Hair Transplant Treatment?
Hair transplant is the leading method of coping with hair loss and is recommended by Cleveland Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Totonchi to patients who are qualified to undergo the procedure. Hair transplants can significantly enhance the appearance of patients and boost self-confidence of those suffering from hair loss.
Hair transplant typically transfers hair from areas that have growing hair to areas of the scalp that are balding or loosing hair. It has been proven to be a highly useful procedure in managing the symptoms of male or female pattern baldness where the patient begins to lose hair on prominent areas of the scalp including the front and the top, whilst still sporting thicker hair at the sides or the back of the head.
How is a hair transplant procedure performed?
- The patient receives local anesthesia on the parts of the scalp with healthy hair growth that the doctor can use to fill in the affected areas.
- A strip of the scalp containing healthy hair follicles will be excised, and the resulting gap is sutured closed.
- The strands of hair on the harvested patch of scalp will be removed individually or in small groups in operation for the hair transplant.
- The areas of the scalp that will receive the hairs will be cleaned aseptically.
- Tiny incisions will be made across the balding area and the harvested hair strands are to be placed carefully inside these incisions to replace the lost hair. It is common for hundreds, or thousands, of healthy hair strands to be transplanted during a single session of a hair transplant.
- The transplanted hairs will be allowed to adapt to the receiving areas and grow on their own.
Hair Restoration Surgery Recovery
Immediately after the procedure, the treated areas, as well as the donor areas, will exhibit redness, swelling, and bruising that may last for several days. The transplant site will be covered in surgical dressings during the recovery period, and the patient may be advised to use a baseball cap to keep this area protected during that time. Patients are most likely to feel some level of discomfort during the healing period, however this can be managed with medications. Antibiotics may also be recommended to prevent infection and anti-inflammatory drugs are suggested to manage the swelling after surgery.
What results can I expect from a hair transplant procedure?
Hair transplants have a very high success rate and hair growth can be seen several months after the initial procedure. For best results, a hair transplant procedure may be repeated. Dr. Totonchi will evaluate your specific health needs and cosmetic goals to create the treatment plan that is right for you.
Are There Any Risks Associated with Hair Restoration?
As in any surgical procedure, infection may occur. Other complications include excessive bleeding and wide scarring. There is also always a risk in any transplant procedure that some of the grafts won’t “take” and will fall out before establishing regrowth in the new location. If this happens, additional surgery may be required.