Apart from the eyes and lips, the nose is one of the most defining features in your face. Subtle changes in the nose alone can result to dramatic results in your appearance. Here at our Cleveland plastic surgery practice, we can help men and women improve their facial symmetry for a more attractive look through rhinoplasty.
What Rhinoplasty Can Do For You
By and large, rhinoplasty is a nose-reshaping procedure designed to:
- reduce the size of an overly prominent nose
- increase the size of your nose if it’s too small in proportion to the rest of your facial features
- improve the appearance of the tip of your nose
- change the angle between your nose and upper lip for a more balanced look
- narrow the span of your nostrils
- correct breathing difficulties
What to Expect During Recovery
Although meticulous preparation is a key factor that could influence rhinoplasty outcomes, Dr. Totonchi also emphasizes the importance of knowing what to expect during recovery, including taking steps to ensure that your recovery is safe, quick, and comfortable. Below is a list of things to expect when recovering from rhinoplasty:
- A custom-made splint may be put on your nose immediately after surgery. This will protect the nose and keep it stable for the first couple of weeks.
- Pain medications may be prescribed to help you deal with mild to moderate pain and discomfort during the first few days of recovery.
- Nasal congestion may also occur during the first few days. However, you are not to blow your nose hence decongestants may be prescribed. Keep in mind though that you are to avoid decongestants that contain active substances in aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as they can increase your risk for bleeding, Humidifying the room or using vaporizer might help to decrease the symptoms.
- Bruising and bleeding are also to be expected. Cold compresses can reduce the occurrence of both. Swelling may subside within two weeks following surgery.
- Any form of trauma to your nose should be avoided following surgery. You should sleep on your back to avoid adding pressure to the nasal area. Eyeglasses or eyewear that rests on the nose should be avoided, too. You can choose to wear contact lenses though.
- Exercise caution when washing and applying sunscreen to your face. Applying make-up may not be permitted within the first 10 days following surgery.
- Most patients can return to work within a week or two following surgery. However, length of recovery varies from one patient to another.
Here at our practice, we follow the patients closely through the recovery period to make sure that they are healing appropriately with no issues. For more information on recovery tips specific to your rhinoplasty technique and personal factors, get in touch with us today by calling 216–778–2262 for a personal consultation with Dr. Totonchi. You can also choose to fill out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!